It is pretty easy to get caught up in the day to day turmoil of our daily lives, the local news and national politics.
Today, I found it really helpful to repeat to myself out loud some of the things I’m grateful for (I started small):
- I’m grateful for clean, running water
- I’m grateful that I can turn on a faucet and hot water comes out
- I’m grateful for my home
- I’m grateful that my daughter’s have healthy lungs which they can use to complain about their clothes
- I’m grateful that I have a machine that washes my clothes and that I don’t have to do that by hand
- I’m grateful for the ability to connect to my friends and family around the country by text message, email and social media
- I’m grateful that I have access to a wealth of knowledge and information through my computer
I’m going to be honest, when I think about the miracle of clean running water consistently coming into my home, I am humbled by how blessed my life is. I know that there are plenty of problems in the world that require our attention, vigilance and action, but I am blessed to have the opportunity to worry about these things because I don’t have to worry that I or my children will get sick from the water.
I don’t know if that helps you, but it really helped me get going this morning.
If that doesn’t help this week, I really loved The Schuyler Sisters rendition of “America the Beautiful” at the Super Bowl yesterday: